Electric Installation

Guidelines for Electric Installation

  1. Call OUPS before you dig.
  2. Go to the Building and Zoning Department, located at the Galion Utility Office, to purchase an electrical permit and meter base.

Electric Fees

  • Electrical Permit - $25
  • Meter Base - $50
  • New Meter Contract Charge - $10
  • Loosen Meter for Siding Placement (each trip) - $25
An electrical permit is required when an upgrade or new electrical service is being installed. Residential electrical permits can be obtained by contacting the Building and Zoning Department City Building at 419-468-2642 or download a permit application here.

Residential projects requiring an electrical permit would include any construction involving new electrical service, or any upgrade of existing service (example: a change from 60 to 100 amp service). A permit may also be required if relocating the meter. Replacing existing wiring or adding new receptacles when remodeling does not require a permit, however, adding new wiring will require a permit. Sketches and specifications are available to assist you in your project at the city Electric Division. Feel free to stop there if you need assistance.

Inspections needed for electrical permit:

  • Rough-in (before wiring is covered by insulation or drywall)
  • Final (upon completion, but before use or occupancy)
Note: It is your responsibility to call the City Building and Zoning Office at 419-468-2642 at least 48 hours prior to rough-in inspection and at least 7 days prior to occupancy or use.

Commercial Electrical Work

Commercial electrical work requires a permit from the State of Ohio which can be obtained through the City of Galion, 301 Harding Way East, or call 419-468-2642. You will need 4 sets of construction and/or wiring plans, 3 of which will be returned and stamped with approval before you can begin the project. The City of Galion now also handles the final inspections.



Meter Tampering

At no time shall anyone tamper with meter base, meter, or service connection in any way. Anyone tampering or attempting to tamper with a meter will be subject to a $100 fine and/or loss of service. If you need your meter base removed or loosened for new siding or any other reason, contact the city Electric Division to do this for you.