City Income Tax
As of July 1, 2005 all Galion income tax is processed by the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA).
- Mandatory filing for all residents of Galion age 18 and over, whether or not you earn an income, on or before April 15 of each year for the previous year.
- You should use the Medicare wage in box 5 or local wage in box 18 (whichever is higher) of the W-2 for income taxable to Galion.
- Due to COVID-19, July 15 is the deadline for all extensions and returns.
- Lottery and gambling winnings are now taxable.
- If you own rentals, use the location of the rental when deciding which city tax is due.
- You may deduct contributions to section 125 cafeteria plans.
- Non-qualified deferred comp plans are now taxable upon deferral. A non-qualified deferred comp plan is any plan that does not fall in to the following categories:
c. IRA / set plans
d. Exempt government deferred plans
- If you are a resident of Galion, but work in another city, you can take a 1% maximum credit for taxes to that city.
RITA has a new phone system with features to better serve customers:
•Automated speech recognition so that callers can press telephone keys or make their choices using their voice.
•Tax Preparer shortcut menu allowing access to multiple accounts without needing to log in and out multiple times.
•Check real time account balance.
•Check payment history and estimated payments including pending payments.
•Check refund status and whether or not the IRS has levied a portion of the refund.
•Make payments by credit card (Individual Accounts only) or ACH for all account types.
•Request a payment plan.
•Request tax forms.
•Variable seasonal menus based on time of year and most popular choices.