Galion is a historic community, as evidenced by numerous homes constructed prior to 1900. There is also a historic district encompassing most of the Uptowne area and several blocks to the east and west.
Galion is proud to have five properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In order to be considered for the registry, criteria includes the age and integrity of the building(s), architectural features, and significant association with historical events and persons. Public access is not required of properties with this designation.
The Adam Howard House was listed on March 30, 1978. Located on South Boston Street, the 5,000-square-foot home was built in 1898.
It was the home of Adam Howard, a prominent local businessman and founder of the Galion Buggy Company. After the automobile began to outpace buggies, Howard designed and built several automobiles – including an electric prototype.
The Big Four Depot, located at 127 North Washington Street, was listed on July 7, 1975. The building was dedicated on Dec. 27, 1900, and served as division headquarters for the Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis Railroad, commonly called the “Big Four.” It also has an Ohio Historic Marker from The Ohio History Connection. See the Depot page for more info.
Brownella Cottage and Grace Episcopal Church were listed together on September 27, 1980. Both properties are located on South Union Street. They are currently owned by the Galion Historical Society, which opens the properties for tours and programs. Visit the organization's website for more info.
The Central Hotel, Hackedorn and Zimmerman Building was listed Nov. 13, 1976. Located on the southwest corner of the city's main downtown square, these three brick structures are considered to be Galion's most important early commercial buildings. They are all that remains of Galion's significant commercial boom in the 1860's.
The Hosford House was listed on April 30, 1976. It was built in 1892 by Asa Hosford, who operated a mill near the property. Hosford is considered the "Father of Galion" because, while he was a state legislator, he worked to get a rail line to go through town. The line was completed in 1851 and marked the beginning of Galion's growth of trade and industry.