Water sampling is performed on a schedule set by the EPA. Samples are then sent to a third party lab, which tests the samples for a variety of contaminants.
- Total coliform bacteria are naturally present in the environment and are used as an indicator that other potentially-harmful bacteria may be present.
- E. coli and fecal coliform bacteria are bacteria whose presence indicates that the water may be contaminated with human or animal wastes.
- Nitrate is a chemical contained in fertilizer and human and animal wastes.
- Arsenic is a naturally occurring chemical.
- Total trihalomethanes (TTHM) are byproducts formed as a result of disinfection.
- Haloacetic acids are byproducts formed as a result of disinfection.
- Radionuclides are unstable forms of elements that break down over time and release radiation.
- Volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) are a variety of compounds composed primarily of carbon and hydrogen. They are used as solvents, degreasers, cleaning solutions, dry cleaning fluids and components of pesticides and plastics.
Drinking Water Standards